[Openstack-operators] Manual router setup

Christopher Hull chrishull42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:05:41 UTC 2016

Hi Keven / all;

Re: Getting a Neutron Router to work.  (set external_network_bridge =
blank).  Apologies if this got sent twice.

Nope, not quite there yet re getting the damn router to work (week 3 on
this issue).

The Liberty install instructions indeed say to set...
external_network_bridge =

I'm so desperate that I thought the blank space after the = might be the
issue.  No.   Then I noticed these instructions in l3_agent.ini itself.
-----
# When external_network_bridge is set, each L3 agent can be associated
# with no more than one external network. This value should be set to the
UUID
# of that external network. To allow L3 agent support multiple external
# networks, both the external_network_bridge and gateway_external_network_id
# must be left empty.
# gateway_external_network_id =
----

1: Should gateway_external_network_id = be unoommented?
2: Should I reupdate the database after these changes?
su -s /bin/sh -c "neutron-db-manage --config-file /etc/neutron/neutron.conf
\
  --config-file /etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ml2_conf.ini upgrade head" neutron

3: Should external_network_bridge in fact be set to the UUID of the public
network?

4. All instances Ports work just fine on public and private network.  WHAT
is the difference between a Neutron router northbound port and an instance
port on the public net.

Services restarted after config change (just removed space after = actually
just in case sloppy Python coding was involved here).  In fact, I rebooted
the box just to be sure.

Making my own instance based router is looking better and better all the
time.   If Neutron Routers really work, maybe UFO's exist too.  :-)   j/k

Seriously.  Thank you for your help.     Hope to help the community soon
too myself.  Trying to get my Gerrit account up and running but the
OpenStack.org site won't allow me to sign the Contrib agreement with out
getting a server error.

====  Config Details ======
Issue   Neutron Router Northbound Port won't Ping, is Down

[root at maersk src]# ./pluto.py show  -p /etc neutron  rootwrap.conf
ml2_conf.ini l3_agent.ini linuxbridge_agent.ini dhcp_agent.ini
+-----------------------+------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| neutron: Section      | Key                                |
Value                                           |
+-----------------------+------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| DEFAULT               | verbose                            |
True                                            |
| DEFAULT               | nova_url                           |
http://controller:8774/v2                       |
| DEFAULT               | notify_nova_on_port_data_changes   |
True                                            |
| DEFAULT               | notify_nova_on_port_status_changes |
True                                            |
| DEFAULT               | auth_strategy                      |
keystone                                        |
| DEFAULT               | rpc_backend                        |
rabbit                                          |
| DEFAULT               | allow_overlapping_ips              |
True                                            |
| DEFAULT               | service_plugins                    |
router                                          |
| DEFAULT               | core_plugin                        |
ml2                                             |
| keystone_authtoken    | password                           |
mk4968small23buggidntpass                       |
| keystone_authtoken    | username                           |
neutron                                         |
| keystone_authtoken    | project_name                       |
service                                         |
| keystone_authtoken    | user_domain_id                     |
default                                         |
| keystone_authtoken    | project_domain_id                  |
default                                         |
| keystone_authtoken    | auth_plugin                        |
password                                        |
| keystone_authtoken    | auth_url                           |
http://controller:35357                         |
| keystone_authtoken    | auth_uri                           |
http://controller:5000                          |
| database              | connection                         |
mysql://neutron:sleestack191@controller/neutron |
| nova                  | password                           |
mk4968small23buggidntpass                       |
| nova                  | username                           |
nova                                            |
| nova                  | project_name                       |
service                                         |
| nova                  | region_name                        |
RegionOne                                       |
| nova                  | user_domain_id                     |
default                                         |
| nova                  | project_domain_id                  |
default                                         |
| nova                  | auth_plugin                        |
password                                        |
| nova                  | auth_url                           |
http://controller:35357                         |
| oslo_concurrency      | lock_path                          |
/var/lib/neutron/tmp                            |
| oslo_messaging_rabbit | rabbit_password                    |
open.g00dke232                                  |
| oslo_messaging_rabbit | rabbit_userid                      |
openstack                                       |
| oslo_messaging_rabbit | rabbit_host                        |
controller                                      |
+-----------------------+------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
+-------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| rootwrap: Section | Key                 |
Value                                                        |
+-------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| DEFAULT           | filters_path        |
/etc/cinder/rootwrap.d,/usr/share/cinder/rootwrap            |
| DEFAULT           | exec_dirs           |
/sbin,/usr/sbin,/bin,/usr/bin,/usr/local/bin,/usr/local/sbin |
| DEFAULT           | use_syslog          |
False                                                        |
| DEFAULT           | syslog_log_facility |
syslog                                                       |
| DEFAULT           | syslog_log_level    |
ERROR                                                        |
+-------------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+
| ml2_conf: Section | Key                  | Value                    |
+-------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+
| ml2               | extension_drivers    | port_security            |
| ml2               | mechanism_drivers    | linuxbridge,l2population |
| ml2               | tenant_network_types | vxlan                    |
| ml2               | type_drivers         | flat,vlan,vxlan          |
| ml2_type_flat     | flat_networks        | public                   |
| ml2_type_vxlan    | vni_ranges           | 1:1000                   |
| securitygroup     | enable_ipset         | True                     |
+-------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+
+-------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| l3_agent: Section | Key                      |
Value                                               |
+-------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| DEFAULT           | external_network_bridge
|                                                     |
| DEFAULT           | verbose                  |
True                                                |
| DEFAULT           | interface_driver         |
neutron.agent.linux.interface.BridgeInterfaceDriver |
+-------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
+----------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| linuxbridge_agent: Section | Key                         |
Value                                                        |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| linux_bridge               | physical_interface_mappings |
public:enp3s0                                                |
| vxlan                      | l2_population               |
True                                                         |
| vxlan                      | local_ip                    |
172.22.10.99                                                 |
| vxlan                      | enable_vxlan                |
True                                                         |
| agent                      | prevent_arp_spoofing        |
True                                                         |
| securitygroup              | firewall_driver             |
neutron.agent.linux.iptables_firewall.IptablesFirewallDriver |
| securitygroup              | enable_security_group       |
True                                                         |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+---------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| dhcp_agent: Section | Key                      |
Value                                               |
+---------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| DEFAULT             | dnsmasq_config_file      |
/etc/neutron/dnsmasq-neutron.conf                   |
| DEFAULT             | verbose                  |
True                                                |
| DEFAULT             | enable_isolated_metadata |
True                                                |
| DEFAULT             | dhcp_driver              |
neutron.agent.linux.dhcp.Dnsmasq                    |
| DEFAULT             | interface_driver         |
neutron.agent.linux.interface.BridgeInterfaceDriver |

- Christopher T. Hull
I am presently seeking a new career opportunity  Please see career page
http://chrishull.com/career
333 Orchard Ave, Sunnyvale CA. 94085
(415) 385 4865
chrishull42 at gmail.com