[Openstack-operators] Anyone else use vendordata_driver in nova.conf?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Jul 11 22:50:10 UTC 2016

>> The current sticking point is that nova-core doesn't want to pass
>> system-metadata to plugins, as the internal format of that changes
>> between releases and isn't intended to be versioned. Instead, we want to
>> pass just the specific bits people need.
>>
>> So -- what things are you using from system-metadata specifically?
>
> Right now just image_os_distro and image_os_version.

Which may very well go away in the near future because of other ways we
handle this.

IMHO, including system_metadata should not be on the table. If you need
things about the image, you should go ask the image service for that
information, given what we tell you about the instance (i.e. image-id in
this case). If you want to chase our internals, then dig it out of the
database. Looking at system_metadata is looking at our internals, just
like poking in our database. It's not something we should (effectively)
codify in this interface because we WILL break it.

--Dan