[Openstack-operators] Neutron getting stuck creating namespaces

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 19:04:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

Over the last few months we've had a few incidents where the process to
create network namespaces (Neutron, OVS) on the network nodes gets 'stuck'
and prevents not only the router it's trying to create from finishing, but
all further namespace operations too.

This has usually finished up with either us rebooting the node pretty fast
afterwards, or the node rebooting itself.

It looks very much like we're affected by
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1403152 but the notes
say it's fixed in the kernel we're running.  I've asked the clever person
who checked it to make some extra notes in the bug report.

It looks very much like when we have a bunch of load on the box the thing
is more likely to trigger - I was wondering if other ops have a max ratio
of routers per network node?  I would have thought our current max of 150
routers per node would be pretty light, but with the dhcp namespaces as
well that's ~450 namespaces on a box and maybe that's an issue?

Thanks