[Openstack-operators] [Neutron][Nova] No Valid Host when booting new VM with Public IP

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:10:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is force OpenStack to do something it normally
> doesn't do for the sake of learning and experimentation. I.e. bind a
> public network to a VM so it can be accessed outside the cloud when
> floating IP's are normally required. I know there are namespace
> issues at play which may prevent this from working, just trying to
> scope the boundaries of what I can and cannot do really.

By default it's not possible to attach a VM vif to an "external"
network, even if this is "shared". However, playing around with the
policy.json file I could do it. Still, I'm unable to only allow
creating vifs on *one* of multiple external networks I have. Here is
how I did: http://www.s3it.uzh.ch/blog/openstack-neutron-vlan/

What Kris told you about the error you get is right: even if you get a
"No valid host" error, the *real* error is to be found in the compute
node, and it's related to the inability of the compute node to attach
the VM interface to the external network.

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
antonio.messina at uzh.ch                     +41 (0)44 635 42 22
S3IT: Service and Support for Science IT   http://www.s3it.uzh.ch/