[Openstack-operators] [all] SQL Schema Downgrades: A Good Idea?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Jan 30 19:25:22 UTC 2015

I had the misfortune of doing an in production roll back,
grizzly->havana->grizzly I think, though thankfuly before anything new
had occurred after upgrade...

Restore from DB dump is what I did and what I'd do again. For all
reasons previously stated programatic reverse migration just doesn't
make sense.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Specifically for database migrations, I always recommend that running
> database schema migrations be:
>
>  * a forward-only process
>  * pre-tested against a copy of the production database

^ that right there is key ;)

>  * if anything at all goes wrong with the upgrade schema migrations, simply
> restore from a backup taken immediately before upgrades are done.

yup!

-Jon