[Openstack-operators] [all] SQL Schema Downgrades: A Good Idea?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:15:01 UTC 2015

Great topic, Morgan. Coments inline.

On 01/29/2015 11:26 AM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>  From an operator perspective I wanted to get input on the SQL Schema
> Downgrades.
>
> Today most projects (all?) provide a way to downgrade the SQL Schemas
> after you’ve upgraded. Example would be moving from Juno to Kilo and
> then back to Juno. There are some odd concepts when handling a SQL
> migration downgrade specifically around the state of the data. A
> downgrade, in many cases, causes permanent and irrevocable data loss.
> When phrased like that (and dusting off my deployer/operator hat) I
> would be hesitant to run a downgrade in any production, stagings, or
> even QA environment.
>
> In light of what a downgrade actually means I would like to get the
> views of the operators on SQL Migration Downgrades:
>
> 1) Would you actually perform a programatic downgrade via the cli tools
> or would you just do a restore-to-last-known-good-before-upgrade (e.g.
> from a DB dump)?

I would never, ever perform a programmatic downgrade operation on a
database.

Some operations people seem to believe that reversing deployment changes
is both always possible and always the safest possible route. This is
not the case.

Specifically for database migrations, I always recommend that running
database schema migrations be:

  * a forward-only process
  * pre-tested against a copy of the production database
  * if anything at all goes wrong with the upgrade schema migrations,
simply restore from a backup taken immediately before upgrades are done.

> 2) Would you trust the data after a programatic downgrade or would the
> data only really be trustworthy if from a restore? Specifically the new
> code *could* be relying on new data structures and a downgrade could
> result in weird states of services.

No. See above :)

> I’m looking at the expectation that a downgrade is possible. Each time I
> look at the downgrades I feel that it doesn’t make sense to ever really
> perform a downgrade outside of a development environment. The potential
> for permanent loss of data / inconsistent data leads me to believe the
> downgrade is a flawed design. Input from the operators on real-world
> cases would be great to have.

Schema downgrades are a horrible idea, should never have been added to
our functionality, and should be gotten rid of immediately, IMO.

Best,
-jay