[Openstack-operators] Instances stuck in 'Build'

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Fri Jan 9 15:59:18 UTC 2015

Are you running glance over ssl?  We had an fairly random but consistent issue with vm's being stuck building.  Usually building means (at least what I found) the compute node did not have the backing image for the vm and needs to download it from glance , convert it from what ever backing file it was to a raw image, then start a qcow2 instances backed by the raw file.  Assuming you are the default configured raw backend qcow2.
You can check this by logging into the compute node and looking under: /var/nova/instances/_base/ for a <sha1 of imageuuid>.part file that is not growing, fir you do find one - then most likely you are seeing the same issue.

And also made a bug posting:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1340993

The bug posting included some scripts to duplicate/verify the issue.

In the end we moved ssl termination to haproxy on the same box as glance and the issues went away.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.