[Openstack-operators] [Ceilometer] Real world experience with Ceilometer deployments - Feedback requested

Sanjay Mishra sanjay at talligent.com
Tue Feb 17 00:03:33 UTC 2015

We've been working with Ceilometer since Grizzly and our experience has been positive, albeit with a couple of caveats.  Our product, OpenBook, depends upon Ceilometer for the metering data to drive rating and billing.  As with most things in OpenStack today, we've taken advantage of what Ceilometer does well and been able to work around those things that could use some improvement.  What Ceilometer does very well is be a funnel for provisioning, state change and consumption data from OpenStack.  We would not have been able to make the progress we did with our solution if Ceilometer didn't exist as a data provider within OpenStack.  What it doesn't do very well today is be a scalable long-term repository of raw and aggregated data.  In our case, we already had a model where we collected data from multiple sources, and normalized and aggregated this data before storing it locally, so this shortcoming didn't present a problem for us.  So, YMMV depending on your use case, but for us and our customers, Ceilometer gets the job done.

--Sanjay