[Openstack-operators] Passing entire disks to instances

David Arroyo droyo at aqwari.net
Sat Aug 29 15:16:48 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to pass entire disks to my openstack instances. I have
some IO-bound workloads and would like to avoid any overhead or
contention by giving an instance access to N additional disks, such
that they do not share that disk with other guests on the same compute
node.

These additional disks do not need to last longer than the instances
themselves; they are "ephemeral" in that regard. There is no need for
backup, no need for instance or data migration, and no need for running
the instance on a separate compute node from the extra disks.
Effectively I want to have an "extra disks" property, as part of a
flavor or image, that is handled like vcpus without overcommit.

I have been doing some research but have not yet found an obvious way
to do this in openstack. Does anyone else have a similar use case, and
how have you handled it? To be more specific, we run some very large
Cassandra clusters on physical hardware, with excellent performance.
Cassandra is largely IO-bound, and we want to virtualize it without
introducing unnecessary IO latency.

Cheers,
David