[Openstack-operators] Sharing resources across OpenStack instances

Richard Raseley richard at raseley.com
Thu Apr 23 19:01:40 UTC 2015

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Some folks have been discussing an app store model. perhaps in
> Murano, but more global, that would allow images/template to be
> registered somewhere like on openstack.org and show up on all clouds
> that have the global repo enabled. Murano would be extended to fetch
> the images/templates to the local glance on the first launch of an
> app if its not already cached locally.
>
> Would that sort of thing fit better then trying to sync glances
> backing store between clouds?

My first take is that what you've outlined feels a little too ambitious
to me. I also have concerns (feature and scope creep) about whether or
not Murano (or any other project) should be in the business of managing
and auditing replication of data between various other (potentially
disparate) systems.

I think there is tremendous value at the core of the idea, which is
essentially the ability to easily (and granularly) share and consume
resources between clouds. To me that feels much more like something that
would be interested on a per-project basis (as has been done in Swift).

In the model I am imagining, the underlying components of the cloud
would be responsible for inter-cloud data replication.

In the specific case of Glance images, it could either take the form of
a pub / sub model at the Glance level (which would allow replication of
images between Glance systems utilizing different back-ends) or the form
of backend <-> backend replication (e.g. with Swift Container
Replication) and then Glance would simply have a process for discovering
new images which have appeared on the back-end.

Regards,

Richard Raseley

SysOps Engineer
Puppet Labs