[Openstack-operators] qemu 1.x to 2.0

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Wed Oct 29 17:28:37 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I had some more fun with this this morning.

libvirt 1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.6 became available in the Ubuntu cloud archive
precise-updates repository. Installing it on compute nodes removed
apparmor. When trying to restart an instance, libvirt complained that it
couldn't find the apparmor profile.

When I attempted to reinstall apparmor, apt told me it would also remove
nova-* and libvirt...

I ended up digging up a cached copy of the previous libvirt-bin and
libvirt0 packages (1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.2~cloud0) and installing that, then
reinstalling apparmor. Everything is now happy.

I opened a bug report about it here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1387251

Optimistically, though, this new version of libvirt attempts to bridge the
gap between Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. Information can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1374622
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QemuPTMigration

Though I have a feeling that this new version should not actually be in the
precise repo...

Thanks,
Joe