[Openstack-operators] Guaranteed Resources

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Oct 23 15:20:17 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm sure some of you have run into this situation before and I'm wondering
how you've dealt with it:

A user requests that they must have access to a certain amount of resources
at all times. This is to prevent them from being unable to launch instances
in the cloud when the cloud is at full capacity.

I've always seen the nova.reservations table, so I thought there was some
simple reservation system in OpenStack but never got around to looking into
it. I think I was totally wrong about what that table does -- it looks like
it's just used to assist in deducting resources from a user's quota when
they launch an instance.

There are also projects like Climate/Blazar, but a cursory look says it
requires Keystone v3, which we're not using right now.

Curiously, the quotas table has a column called "hard_limit" which would
make one think that there was such a thing as a "soft_limit", but that's
not the case, either. I see a few blueprints about adding soft limits, but
nothing in place.

Has anyone cooked up their own solution for this?

Thanks,
Joe