[Openstack-operators] Fwd: [openstack-dev] [stable] Organizational changes to support stable branches

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Fri Nov 14 20:57:36 UTC 2014

Just an aside:

One thing that I noticed is there seems to be a disconnect as to what "operators" see as technical debt and what developers see as technical debt.  Personally, I see technical debt more inline with projects having xxx bug backlog, ___ feature while implemented is done in a less than optimal way (nova resize for example), documentation around ____ is poor.  Where developers see technical debt is what is preventing us from moving to python version 3, where are we missing/broken unit test coverage, this internal only API is ____ and I want to refactor it.

To me moving from one version of python to another version of python is a feature - not technical debt.

I personally am hoping for a clear definition of what "stable" actually means. I am use to stable meaning no new features, just bug fixes.  Having been bit by the recent keystone Icehouse.1 -> Icehouse.2 breaking everything AD, because of a UTF8 conversion feature that blew up when it hit binary data.  It apparent that some peoples definition of stable is different than others.

It would also be nice if it was possible to make a patch to a stable branch and have it be tagged as something that could be brought forward. Versus having to figure out where in master everything is (which could be radically different), then patching that and then trying to get that back ported to a stable release.  I know we (Godaddy) try to stay on stable releases and not run on trunk, I assume a majority of other operators do as well.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.