[Openstack-operators] A Hypervisor supporting containers

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon May 5 17:56:46 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
To: openstack-operators <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] A Hypervisor supporting containers

><fixed top post quoting for clarity sake>
>
>Excerpts from matt's message of 2014-05-02 00:11:24 -0700:
>> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Aaron Rosen <aaronorosen at gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>> > <snip>
>> > you know, i've never worked anywhere that didn't roll their own
>>distro.
>> > <snip>
>>
>> git clone nova
>> git clone  https://github.com/stackforge/nova-docker
>>nova/nova/virt/docker
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> in the real world.  this doesn't happen ever.
>>

>Which is it though. Are orgs rolling their own distros, implying gathering
>source directly and packaging it together, or are they refusing to gather
>source and package it together, as you've said doesn't happen ever?
>
>Anyway, it sounds to me like containers are as alive in Icehouse as they
>were in Havana, we've just done some examination and posted a public
>health report explaining how risky it might be to rely on them to carry
>your organization.

I can provide what I know yahoo is doing (at the current time, could
change in future) with regards to packaging (others might be doing
something different).

http://anvil.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ [1] is being used (its similar in
ways to devstack, smokestack...) to create rpms from the git trees (or
branches, tags of those git trees). It does this via a somewhat
complicated mechanism (it also packages any dependencies that are not
found on say epel, and can apply any custom patches if any exist in your
own private repos); when completed it creates 2 yum repos (one for
dependencies, one for the core components) and these repos are used later
for deploying & so-on. There has been some work to generate deb packages
[2] although its not exactly high priority for us since we don't
deploy/run on a debian based repo.

>From my understanding of this conversation the `git clone` approach was
just a example that created negative emotions. It's unmaintainable and bad
practice to just do such things, so I think that¹s why the negative
reactions around `git clone https://github.com/stackforge/nova-docker
nova/nova/virt/docker` was mentioned (if your business is installing
openstack by git cloning it across many machines, that scares me). Maybe
we should step back from the example and not interpret it as `what should
be done` but more any example of a `concept` (I think this was the
intention?).

[1] https://github.com/stackforge/anvil
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87875/