[Openstack-operators] A Hypervisor supporting containers

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri May 2 04:06:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Eric Windisch <eric at windisch.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the matrix is trying to day that lxc under libvirt is not well
>> tested. I don't think there are any plans to remove it... Its much
>> more likely we'll fix the testing than remove that code.
>>
>> The biggest problem here is that no one is really actively working on
>> container support.
>
> That's not true, is it? Much of the effort just happens to live in
> stackforge right now. There are arguments that that work, by virtue of being
> in Stackforge, isn't "valid" or subsequently, "doesn't exist", I've heard
> such arguments in the past... but it doesn't invalidate the fact that there
> is legitimate work and effort toward containers (and Docker) in OpenStack.
>
> Also, it isn't just me. The Docker driver (now in Stackforge) seems to have
> 6-10 active contributors. Missing features such as Neutron support have been
> added. A multi-contributor effort to gate with Tempest is now in force.

I think it was clear during Icehouse that you were the only person
working on CI for docker, which was why it didn't make it before the
deadline. I think you're doing good work and don't mean to diminish
that. However, its good to hear you're getting some more help now.

> I agree the dedicated containers API / service has had limited traction. The
> proposal to discuss this during the summit was rejected. Unfortunately, the
> unconference track was removed, but several of the interested parties have
> discussed organizing a less formal meeting co-located with the conference.

This is more what I was referring to. People have been working on a
container service for an entire release and we've heard nothing. The
summit session was an API brainstorming session -- that's what's meant
to have been happening for the last six months. I think the nova team
is waiting to see a concrete proposal, not yet more discussion.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia