[Openstack-operators] Virtual Instance can't obtain IP address (OpenStack Havana)

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 16:12:55 UTC 2014

Very annoying situation, every time it really hard to debug.

My debug experience so far:

Easy:
1. Check every /var/log/upstart/neutron*.log file. Sometime stupid typo
in configs cause problems.
2. Check access group for instance.

In depth:
Check ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-tun on compute where instance is running.
Proper configuration should contain lines like this:

cookie=0x0, duration=216.991s, table=21, n_packets=19, n_bytes=2326,
idle_age=144, priority=1,dl_vlan=3
actions=strip_vlan,set_tunnel:0x1,output:6,output:5,output:2,output:3,output:4
(table=21, and set_tunnel, output - is important).

I create a very crude utility to probing gre tunnels:
https://github.com/amarao/gre-tun-probe to check if everything is fine.

One more hint: Ubuntu cut off neutron-ovs-cleanup script. Run it and
reboot compute node, may be it will helps.