[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Quotas: per-flavor-quotas

Chen Yu yu at yahoo-inc.com
Sun Apr 20 23:52:43 UTC 2014

>>1. In what ways does the current quota system not work for you? (Operations)

This is Chen from Yahoo openstack engineering team, I can explain our user case for “per-flavor-quota”.

We operates a large openstack baremetal cluster where flavors are defined based on standard hardware config (a combination of cpu code, cpu cores,  Ram,  and Disk). We need to assign quota to the tenant based on the flavor/hardware config, for example, for tenantA, allowing it to create/checkout 10 instances of flavor C2B-24-500 (6 cores Ivy Bridge + 24GB RAM + 500GB Disk) and 20 instances of flavor C2B-48-1200. I guess this is quite common in real operational environment where the resource and finance approval process are hooked in. Here, the current quota system is not able to support this user case. The total number of instances, cores, rams are not sufficient to differentiate above flavor/hardware configs and thus no way to enforce the quota allocation.

Although our user case right now is from the baremetal provisioning, we do expect to apply such per-flavor-quota mechanism to vm provisioning. The idea is the same, the quota is allocated, and more important, enforced on flavor level, instead of on the sum-up number of individual resources which loses the information of flavor-level control.

Thanks,
Chen