[Openstack-operators] /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up corrupting my Linux instances

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:04:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Diego Parrilla Santamaría <
> diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we use Razique's script on shared storage frequently. We recommend to
>> take a snapshot first, just in case.
>>
>> A few comments about what I have read in this thread:
>> - The script works (for us) and does not break anything (we modified it
>> to perform a delete instead of writing to a file) on a shared storage
>>

> I have a concern that ad hoc scripts like this will break in the future.
> You should test before using it in production for each release. For example
> grizzly changes how kernels are named and this could break that script. I
> personally think if you run adhoc scripts from outside the nova codebase,
> then the onus is on your to understand the underlying code and what the
> script is doing -- the nova developers can't maintain things we don't know
> about.

Agree. We test everything first, of course.

Still, we have lots of custom scripts to manage Nova on a daily basis. The
nova codebase cannot cover everything, obviously. And sometimes we cannot
wait for a bug to be fixed, so custom script is perfect and valid
workaround for us. This is normal, and I guess this is one of the reasons
for this mailing list :-)

>> - I was really scared when I read about the migration problems from Essex
>> to Folsom and the new automatic clean up code.
>> remove_unused_base_images=false
>>

> Have you tested the fixes that were put into trunk several months ago for
> those problems? The cleaner is on by default in grizzly, so testing before
> release would be a good idea.
>
> We did not try it again in Folsom. We followed our own approach. We will
give it a try in Grizzly stable.