[Openstack-operators] /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up corrupting my Linux instances

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Mar 14 11:07:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Diego Parrilla Santamaría <
diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we use Razique's script on shared storage frequently. We recommend to take
> a snapshot first, just in case.
>
> A few comments about what I have read in this thread:
> - The script works (for us) and does not break anything (we modified it to
> perform a delete instead of writing to a file) on a shared storage

I have a concern that ad hoc scripts like this will break in the future.
You should test before using it in production for each release. For example
grizzly changes how kernels are named and this could break that script. I
personally think if you run adhoc scripts from outside the nova codebase,
then the onus is on your to understand the underlying code and what the
script is doing -- the nova developers can't maintain things we don't know
about.

> - I was really scared when I read about the migration problems from Essex
> to Folsom and the new automatic clean up code.
> remove_unused_base_images=false

Have you tested the fixes that were put into trunk several months ago for
those problems? The cleaner is on by default in grizzly, so testing before
release would be a good idea.

Michael