[Openstack-operators] Call for tools and utilities

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Thu Jan 17 18:55:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Abel Lopez <alopgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that has become painfully obvious in Openstack is the lack of
> operational tools.
> Too many times on this list, I've seen the answer be "Go in the database
> and manually fix it"
> This is fine for your small lab deployments, or when you're staffed with
> nothing but Sr. admins.

Check out python-openstackclient .  This is a unified client effort that
really needs more development effort.

> We really need to start grouping and maintaining a set of 'safe for
> everyone' tools that can do some of these tasks.

I think there is certainly room for more tools.  Not sure where the right
place to put them is.  Is nova/tools the right place?  should they be
incubated individually?
I have a tool or two that I'd love to share, that probably don't belong in
nova/tools and are probably small enough not to warrant independent project
status.  I feel like most folks have such things.

It's a good question.

> I have been thinking writing some utilities so that I wouldn't have to go
> into the database and toggle a '0' to a '1', or whatnot.
> I'm sure many of you on this list have your own tricks that you employ as
> well.

This is not really a long term solution.  That's a bandaid to cover up a
problem that development is working on.  I am not sure how that should be
addressed.

> We need to follow the approach of the openstack-chef cookbooks, where we
> all work towards making a better/reproducible environment using community
> books.
> We need to gather up all our 'aces up the sleeve' put them somewhere in
> the open, and make sure that even the most green Jr sysadmin can properly
> wield them.

Each environment is unique.  But a recipe sharing / tool sharing / story
sharing environment such as the openstack tag on stack overflow translated
into an ask.openstack.org ( ala ask.ubuntu.org ) may be a good starting
point.

More Thoughts?