[Openstack-operators] Operations use cases/pain points

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu Nov 8 19:16:53 UTC 2012

I'm not keen on a 2nd database but I am keen on, as you say, "well described
specific issues". There may be additional process steps required.

Our user community should not be obliged to understand the internals of
OpenStack. Many high level pain points can have multiple project hits (e.g.
horizon/keystone/nova) and allowing a user to enter their pain point into a
wiki without needing to formulate the detail is required to ensure maximum
opportunities for participation and input. A developer can always choose
that a problem is sufficiently important that they do the patches, many of
the users we want to reach do not have this skill set but contribute in
other ways to the OpenStack community.

Bugs are somewhat easier than requests... if something does not work as it
is documented, this can be made concrete. Requests are more problematic and
need prioritisation. The user committee can help in highlighting those
requests for enhancement which are a concern to a substantial share of the
production deployments.

Tim

Firefox
> and WordPress, I'd not recommend worrying about swamping and discourage
> having a separate knowledge base of problems/requests. Any well described
> specific issue should be added to the single (feature request & bug)
tracker,