[Openstack-operators] Nova (in VLAN mode) and the high availability of a "central" nova-network

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:57:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

due to the fact, that I cannot provide all compute nodes with public IPs
(allowing us
to run nova-network on each compute node), we're having one (or two in
fact) frontend
node doing the public network traffic work.

So, how can I make a single nova-network node highly available?
It would be fine to have some vrrpd/keepalived enabled node, that then
starts/stops the sensible services (like nova-network) in question.

However, does this work well with nova-network?
Will this produce some noticable delay in availability when the active
master goes down
and until the current slave has fully become the master (with nova-network
being started up)?
How does this affect the nova environment.
Especially, thinking of the `nova-manage service list` output, where only
one nova-network instance
ought to be then, but in HA mode, we are to have at least 2 then. How well
does Nova play with that?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.