[Openstack-operators] OpenStack Packaging Questions

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Sun Jun 3 02:14:40 UTC 2012

Hi Christian:

On Jun 1, 2012, at 6:01 PM, Christian Parpart wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am to write packages (ebuilds) for OpenStack for the Gentoo Linux distribution,
> while still being kind of new to OpenStack myself :-)
>
> I kind of have an impression on how to gather the software dependencies, now,
> but I don't get how people decided on what files to put in what packages,
> namely, speaking of "nova".
> The Ubuntu Distribution is splitting up the nova upstream tarball in lots
> of tiny pieces, like:
> - nova-common (basic file structure, plus nova-rootwrap),
> - python-nova (library code only?),
> - nova-volume (the volume component, bin-file, rc file, man page, ...)
> - nova-scheduler (scheduler component)
> - nova-compute (compute component)
> - etc ...
>
> However, since upstream (OpenStack devs) have put everything in one big directory,
> tarballed all in once, and seeing, that (some) distros provide also so called
> all-in-one "nova" packages, I am now very very disappointed on what way to go,
> what way might be the best (speaking of: what do the developers intend?).

> I would of course really like to see packages per component and library packages for shared code
> and/or file/directory structures.
>
> The source URI I am building the package(s) from is (for nova) for example:
>     http://launchpad.net/nova/essex/nova/+download/nova-2012.1.tar.gz
>
> I would now like to now how to decide in what files/directories out of this tarball to put in what package.
>
> Secondly, I am also kind of disappointed by the namingscheme and the way some tools are put
> into the OpenStack git repositories.
>
> For example, there is a python-keystoneclient repository/project, that contains the client python bindings
> to the keystone server *but* also the keystone CLI.
> If I were in charge, I'd split that up into two packages, namely
> - [category: dev-python] python-keystoneclient (python bindings to keystone)
> - [category: sys-cluster] keystone (keystone CLI, depending on the package above)
>
> I'd favor this one, but I want to request for comments, before I'll get killed afterwards, if you know what I mean ;-)

Note that there's a new project (python-openstackclient) to create a unified CLI across all OpenStack services. The client python bindings will remain in their existing repositories (python-novaclient, python-keystoneclient, etc.).

> Third, what component is using nova-rootwrap, despite nova-volume of course.
> I'd like to nail this down to the component that is actually using it, or even provide a seperate package for it.

I believe it's used by nova-compute and nova-network as well.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein