[OpenStack-Infra] is basic auth broken on our gerrit: review.opendev.org?

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Sun Sep 1 10:50:18 UTC 2019

I was trying to query gerrit using pygerrit2, requests and later curl just to find out that apparently our gerrit does not work with basic-auth.

$ cat ~/.netrc                                                                                                                                                             [11:40:36]
machine review.opendev.org login ssbarnea password pL1...EQ

$ curl -vn "https://review.opendev.org/changes/?q=owner:self%20status:open"                                                                                                [11:39:54]
* Server auth using Basic with user 'ssbarnea'
> GET /changes/?q=owner:self%20status:open HTTP/1.1
> Host: review.opendev.org
> Authorization: Basic c3NiY....VR
Must be signed-in to use owner:self

Note: user and password were taken from https://review.opendev.org/#/settings/http-password as we were supposed to.

Am I doing something wrong or if not, can we have this fixed?

Please note that I really want to be able to load credentials from .netrc file because that is more secure than dealing with credentials in your code. Also, all 3 tools mentioned above are able to load credentials from .netrc file.

Thanks
Sorin Sbarnea