[OpenStack-Infra] Bug: incorrect HTTP headers on Rackspace CDN S3 used by OS Infra

Roman Gorshunov paye600 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:02:55 UTC 2019

Hello team,

I’m experiencing problems accessing certain content served by Rackspace CDN S3 used by OS Infra, and looking for help to get problem resolved.

Here are 2 URLs: [0] and [1].
When requested with the headers & parameters listed below [2],
– first one returns "zlib compressed data” with HTTP response headers [3]
– second one returns “gzip compressed data”, inside which there is  "zlib compressed data”, and HTTP response headers are listed here [4]
As you may see, for the second URL with “docs/“ in the end Rackspace CDN encodes content twice (first with deflate and then with gzip) and adds two sequential “Content-Encoding” headers. Instead, I believe, it should be adding just one “Content-Encoding: gzip, deflate” header, listing encoding applied to data in order of application of those encodings to the data.

RFC 7231 section 3.1.2.2 [5] says:
  If one or more encodings have been applied to a representation,
  the sender that applied the encodings MUST generate a
  Content-Encoding header field that lists the content codings in the
  order in which they were applied.

Demo script to get URLs and see difference if published here: http://paste.openstack.org/raw/783267/ .

Mozilla, for an example, also agrees that there should be just one header, listing two or more encodings in a sequence they are applied to the content – [6]. Practically, I’ve get error “Safari can’t open the page “…". The error is “can not decode raw data” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1015)”, and can not see contents of the page.

I have raised the question on #openstack-infra at Freenode, and got confirmation that everything works fine in Firefox. Then I’ve tried to call Rackspace, but they were unable to register my request until I provide them with some PIN code and client details, which obviously I didn't have.

So I call for your support and assistance, or may be directions on how could I get the problem resolved. I may have overlooked if this problem has been raised some one else earlier and already in progress of being resolved. Please, let me know if that is the case.

Thank you.

[0] https://2365c1d014187c3ae706-2572cddac5187c7b669ab9398e41b48d.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/687536/4/check/openstack-tox-docs/eb49c40/
[1] https://2365c1d014187c3ae706-2572cddac5187c7b669ab9398e41b48d.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/687536/4/check/openstack-tox-docs/eb49c40/docs/
[2]
> Host: 2365c1d014187c3ae706-2572cddac5187c7b669ab9398e41b48d.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com
[5] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-3.1.2.2
[6] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Content-Encoding

Best regards,
—