[OpenStack-Infra] Sysadmin

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Sun Nov 18 18:59:46 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Mathias Gutehall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to check if there’s any need for a sysadmin with long
> experience with Unix/Linux systems in this project? I’m based in Sweden
> and have been working as a sysadmin since 1995 and since the 3 years
> with cloud services.

We are always happy to have more help running the community developer infrastructure. A good place to start is probably with this document, https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/project.html, as it gives a high level overview of how we operate and are organized.

To summarize here quickly, we are a community effort to build and run developer tooling. We use code review and automated deployment tooling which allows people to contribute without having root. If you'd like to get involved and become a root the process for that is to start through the code review system and take advantage of our automated deployments.

I like to encourage individuals find a task that interests them and start from there. Some of the big efforts we currently have are:

1. Modernize configuration management
1a. Convert to ansible for configuration management (gerrit topic:update-cfg-mgmt)
1b. Update puppet 3 to puppet 4 since the ansible conversion won't happen immediately (gerrit topic:puppet-4)
1c. Use docker images and containers to deploy software, particularly that which we install from source
2. IRC bot update to handle the large number of channels we talk to with common tooling
3. Gerrit upgrade to 2.15 (may be related to 1a and 1c)
4. OpenDev transition, though this is new and doesn't have many concrete actions yet.

There are other items as well. Feel free to follow up with this list, myself or on IRC if any of this does interest you and we can go from there.

Hope this helps,
Clark