[OpenStack-Infra] Adding new etcd binaries to tarballs.o.o

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 23:22:26 UTC 2018

On 03/27/2018 09:25 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Can we please add the appropriate files for the 3.3.2 (or 3.2.17)
> release of etcd added to tarballs.o.o

ISTR that we had problems even getting them from there during runs, so
moved to caching this.  I had to check, this isn't well documented ...

The nodepool element caching code [1] should be getting the image name
from [2], which gets the URL for the tarball via the environment
variables in stackrc.  dib then stuffs that tarball into /opt/cache on
all our images.

In the running devstack code, we use get_extra_file [3] which should
look for the tarball in the on-disk cache, or otherwise download it
[4].

Ergo, I'm pretty sure these files on tarballs.o.o are unused.  Bumping
the version in devstack should "just work" -- it will download
directly until the next day's builds come online with the file cached.

> I realise that 18.04 is just around the corner but doing this now gives
> us scope to land [4] soon and consider stable branches etc while we
> transition to bionic images and then dismantle the devstack
> infrastructure for consuming these tarballs
> [4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/554977/1

I think we can discuss this in that review, but it seems likely from
our discussions in IRC that 3.2 will be the best choice here.  It is
in bionic & fedora; so we can shortcut all of this and install from
packages there.

-i

[1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/nodepool/elements/cache-devstack/extra-data.d/55-cache-devstack-repos#n84
[2] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/tools/image_list.sh#n50