[OpenStack-Infra] Adding new etcd binaries to tarballs.o.o

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Mar 26 23:39:35 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:22:26AM +1100, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 09:25 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > Can we please add the appropriate files for the 3.3.2 (or 3.2.17)
> > release of etcd added to tarballs.o.o
>
> ISTR that we had problems even getting them from there during runs, so
> moved to caching this.  I had to check, this isn't well documented ...
>
> The nodepool element caching code [1] should be getting the image name
> from [2], which gets the URL for the tarball via the environment
> variables in stackrc.  dib then stuffs that tarball into /opt/cache on
> all our images.
>
> In the running devstack code, we use get_extra_file [3] which should
> look for the tarball in the on-disk cache, or otherwise download it
> [4].
>
> Ergo, I'm pretty sure these files on tarballs.o.o are unused.  Bumping
> the version in devstack should "just work" -- it will download
> directly until the next day's builds come online with the file cached.

Except something sets ETCD_DOWNLOAD_URL to tarballs.o.o

See:
http://logs.openstack.org/77/554977/1/check/devstack/4cc8483/controller/logs/_.localrc_auto.txt.gz
and
http://logs.openstack.org/77/554977/1/check/devstack/4cc8483/controller/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2018-03-21_16_52_00_998

So we have a egg<->chicken problem don't we and we still need/want the
data on tarballs.o.o even if it's seldom used

> I think we can discuss this in that review, but it seems likely from
> our discussions in IRC that 3.2 will be the best choice here.  It is
> in bionic & fedora; so we can shortcut all of this and install from
> packages there.

Yup we can discuss that on the review.

Yours Tony.