[OpenStack-Infra] Merging feature/zuulv3 into master in Zuul and Nodepool repos

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Jan 15 23:34:19 UTC 2018

Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I think we are very close to being ready to merge the zuulv3 feature
> branch into master in both the Zuul and Nodepool repos. In particular
> we merged https://review.openstack.org/#/c/523951/ which should
> prevent breakages for anyone using that deployment method
> (single_node_ci) for an all in one CI suite.
>
> One thing I've noticed is that we don't have this same handling in the
> lower level individual service manifests. For us I don't think that is
> a major issue, we'll just pin our builders to the nodepool 0.5.0 tag,
> do the merge, then update our configs and switch back to master. But
> do we have any idea if it is common for third part CI's to bypass
> single_node_ci and construct their own like we do?
>
> As for the actual merging itself a quick test locally using `git merge
> -s recursive -X theirs feature/zuulv3` on the master branch of
> nodepool appears to work. I have to delete the files that the feature
> branch deleted by hand but otherwise the merge is automated. The
> resulting tree does also pass `tox -e pep8` and `tox -epy36` testing.
>
> We will probably want a soft freeze of both Zuul and Nodepool then do
> our best to get both merged together so that we don't have to remember
> which project has merged and which hasn't. Once that is done we will
> need to repropose any open changes on the feature branch to the master
> branch, abandon the changes on the feature branch then delete the
> feature branch. Might be a good idea to merge as many feature branch
> changes as possible before hand?
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Thank you,
> Clark

Thanks for looking into that!

I don't think we're in a great position to merge a lot of the
outstanding changes on the feature branch -- many of them are post 3.0
things and I don't want to distract us from stabilizing and finalizing
the release.  We may just want to plan on porting a bunch over.

Let's plan on performing the merge this Thursday, Jan 18th.

-Jim