[OpenStack-Infra] Hostnames

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 9 01:42:58 UTC 2018

Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018, at 2:30 PM, David Moreau Simard wrote:
>> When I compared ze10 with ze09 today, I noticed that ze09's "hostname"
>> command returned "ze09" while ze10 had "ze10.openstack.org".
>>
>> However, both nodes had the full fqdn when doing "hostname -f".
>>
>> I didn't dig deeper since we're the weekend and all that but there might be
>> a clue in my experience above.
>
> I think the reason for this is that ze09 was rebuilt so the launch
> node scripts modified it setting hostname to only ze09 and not
> ze09.openstack.org. ze10 on the other hand was simply rebooted so its
> old hostname, ze10.openstack.org, stuck.

Distilling this conversation and that in IRC today:

The current software should produce consistent results:
  hostname -> ze09
  hostname --fqdn -> ze09.openstack.org

This is what we want on all machines.

Machines launched before October 2017 were subject to a race with
cloud-init which has since been corrected.  Those may have the FQDN for
the hostname.  That explains the discrepancy observed.

The next time we stop all of Zuul, should we rename all the hosts and
then update the grafana dashboards?

-Jim