[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul mailing lists

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Jan 8 23:46:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

We recently completed the work needed to host mailing lists for projects
at their own domains.  With our expanded focus in Zuul v3 on users
beyond those related to the OpenStack project, now seems like a good
time to create dedicated Zuul mailing lists.

I'd like to create the following two lists to start:

zuul-announce at lists.zuul-ci.org  --  A list for release announcements
and to disseminate information about job definition changes (including
information about the shared zuul-jobs repos).

zuul-discuss at lists.zuul-ci.org  --  A list for general discussion about
using Zuul and development work.

Note in particular that, at the moment, I'm not proposing a dev/user
mailing list split.  Much of our dev work directly impacts users and
needs broad discussion.  Likewise, we're better developers when we dive
into real user problems.  So to the extent possible, I'd like to avoid
creating a split where one isn't necessary.

Of course, if that doesn't work out, or if circumstances change, we can
add new lists as necessary.  It seems like the most conservative
approach is to create only one discussion list and add more if needed.

It's also worth noting that some of us wear multiple hats related to
OpenStack and Zuul.  It will still be reasonable for folks to have
Zuul-related discussions on this list, or openstack-dev, when they
relate entirely to OpenStack's use of Zuul.  We might discuss adding new
executors on openstack-infra, and we might promulgate a new role for
working with devstack logs on openstack-dev.  Neither of those
discussions need to happen on the new lists.  However, like any project
used heavily by another, people involved in OpenStack with a significant
interest in Zuul should subscribe to the new lists, so they can interact
with the rest of the Zuul community.

How does that sound?

Thanks,

Jim