[OpenStack-Infra] Stop supporting bindep-fallback.txt moving forward

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 23:15:18 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I'd like to propose we hard freeze changes to bindep-fallback.txt[1] and push
projects to start using a local bindep.txt file.

This would mean, moving forward with ubuntu-bionic, if a project was still
depending on bindep-fallback.txt, their jobs may raise a syntax error.

In fact, today ubuntu-bionic does seem to pass properly with
bindep-fallback.txt, but perhaps we prime it with a bad package on purpose to
force the issue. As clarkb points out, the downside to this it does make it
harder for projects to be flipped to ubuntu-bionic.  It is possible we could
also prime gerrit patches for projects that are missing bindep.txt to help push
this effort along.

Thoughts?

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/nodepool/elements/bindep-fallback.txt