[OpenStack-Infra] Some branch issues with Zuul

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Oct 25 14:56:00 UTC 2017

Andrea Frittoli <andrea.frittoli at gmail.com> writes:

> We will need somewhere in the logs a description of the traversal that was
> done to build the final job. I believe that would help debugging issues that
> may arise from unexpected inheritance behaviour.
>
> Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)

Yes!  We have that to some degree today, and it's been very helpful
lately. :)

Example:

  http://logs.openstack.org/33/509233/7/check/tox-linters/23b39f2/zuul-info/inventory.yaml

      _inheritance_path:
      - 'inherit from <Job base branches: None source: openstack-infra/project-config/zuul.d/jobs.yaml at master#26>'
      - 'inherit from <Job unittests branches: None source: openstack-infra/zuul-jobs/zuul.yaml at master#4>'
      - 'inherit from <Job tox branches: None source: openstack-infra/zuul-jobs/zuul.yaml at master#14>'
      - 'self <Job tox-linters branches: None source: openstack-infra/zuul-jobs/zuul.yaml at master#99>'
      - 'apply variant <Job tox-linters branches: None source: openstack-infra/project-config/zuul.d/projects.yaml at master#2803>'

The var name has an underscore because it's undocumented and (very!)
likely to change.  It's basically just a some debug lines rendered as a
list at the moment.  Once it settles down, I plan on turning it into a
proper data structure and documenting it.  Then it may be appropriate to
output it in the console log.

In the late-binding proposal, the distinction between inheritance and
variance is largely lost, and it essentially just turns into a list of
'apply variant' lines.  I think even that would still be enough,
However, I may be able to improve the output slightly and get a bit more
context back.  I'll look at that when I make the final version of the
patch.

-Jim