[OpenStack-Infra] Some branch issues with Zuul

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Oct 25 14:55:36 UTC 2017

Excerpts from corvus's message of 2017-10-24 15:22:51 -0700:
> Hi,
>
> A number of issues related to how jobs are defined and run on projects
> with stable branches have come up recently.  I believe they are all
> related, and they, as well as the solutions to them, must be considered
> together.
>

> The Problems
> ============
>
> I've identified the following five problems:
>
> 1) Parents should have variants applied
>
> Currently inheritance and variance are distinct.  Inheritance modifies a
> job's configuration statically at the time the configuration is loaded.
> Variants are applied dynamically right before the job runs.
>
> That means that when a job starts, we pick a single job to start with,
> then apply variants of that particular job.  But since the inheritance
> has already been applied, any variants which a user may expect to apply
> to a parent job will not be applied.  When the inheritance chain is
> created at configuration time, only the "reference" definition of the
> job is used -- that is, the first appearance of the job.
>
> In other words, more than likely, most jobs defined in a stable branch
> are going to inherit from a parent job defined on the master branch --
> even if that parent job has a stable branch variant.
>
> 2) Variants may cause parents to be ignored
>
> We currently ignore the parent attribute on a job variant.  If we did
> not, then when the variant is applied, it would pull in all of the
> attributes of its parent, which is likely to be on the master branch
> (since its parent will, as in #1, be the reference definition).
>
> This ignoring of the parent attribute happens at configuration time
> (naturally, since that is when inheritance is applied).
>
> This means that if the first job that matches a change is a variant
> (i.e., the reference definition of a job has a non-matching branch
> matcher), this top-level variant job will not actually have a parent.

In the discussion yesterday, and in the emails today, you've implied
that there is an ordering to job definitions beyond inheritance. Is that
discovery order documented somewhere? If not, is it simple enough to
describe in a few sentences here? Are repositories scanned in a
particular order, for example? Or is it based on something else?

Doug