[OpenStack-Infra] OpenStack-Infra Digest, Vol 62, Issue 2

Klérisson Paixão klerissonpaixao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 13:06:05 UTC 2017

> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:49:30 -0700
> From: Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> To: openstack-infra at lists.openstack.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenStack-Infra] [openstack-infra] [nova] build log REST
>         access
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 06:46 AM, Klérisson Paixão wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I'm looking for documentation on how to access the REST API of openstack
> > logstash/elasticsearch to retrieve builds logs.
> > Could you, please, point me out how to start?
>
> The docs that describe how we use logstash and elasticsearch can be
> found at https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/logstash.html.
> Some of that info is currently in flux as we work towards deploying
> zuulv3 but I think at a high level it is largely correct.
>
> As noted there the elasticsearch API can be hit at
> http://logstash.openstack.org/elasticsearch. This exposes a read only
> subset of the proper elasticsearch 1.7 API which is documented at
> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.7/index.html.
> If you find there are queries you'd like to make not currently allowed
> by our proxy let us know and we can see if it is possible to open that
> up safely.

I'm searching for changes that would cause regressions. As far as I
understood, the gating process prevents such changes from being
merged, dropping the failed change (culprit). This is exactly what I
looking for: culprit from multiple changes of broken builds.

So, is logstash the right place for such searching?

> Finally keep in mind that we only index INFO and greater log lines and
> we only keep 10 days worth of indexed logs. Logstash/elasticsearch
> should be used for targeted look ups of specific log entries rather than
> aggregate log viewing due to the sheer volume of the data. If you are
> looking for an index into complete logs the openstack health dashboard
> at http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/ might be a better place
> to start.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Clark