[OpenStack-Infra] On the subject of HTTP interfaces and Zuul

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 13 14:02:38 UTC 2017

On 06/10/2017 08:38 PM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Regardless of the HTTP interfaces architecture, I proposed this
> zuul_dashboard thing to help Jenkins users migrate to
> zuul-launcher/executor. As far as I can tell, we need a comprehensive
> view of jobs' run where users can quickly check the results of critical
> jobs
> such as the periodic, post and tag jobs.

I think this is a really neat idea, but I have two different opinions on
how we should do it - those are the "optional dashboard" and "required
dashboard" route. I think "optional" is a consideration because as
written currently, this depends on the SQL Reporter which is an optional
reporter plugin.

** Optional **

If we decide that we also want the dashboard to be an optional zuul
feature - because maybe for small installations we don't want to grow a
MySQL depend - I think we should add the dashboard to the SQL Reporter
plugin. So if you enable the SQL reporter, you get the dashboard.

In fact, that might be the right first-step, since it's just a small
change to what's there now.

** Required **

I do think it's a valuable feature though, so we could decide we want it
to always be present, similar to the current status page.

If we do that, I think we should define an "History" interface for
reading the data that the dashboard needs, and the SQL Reporter should
implement that interface.

Then we should implement a ZK-based plugin that implements Reporter and
History. That way a smaller user can simply configure to use the ZK
reporter and history, and a larger user can configure to use the SQL
reporter and history.

> Another feature to consider is job trigger/enqueuing as well as
> job termination. Though this needs some sort of authentication and
> policy...

Yah. That one is a bit harder and we'll need to consider how that works.
Would likely be a good topic for the next time we have in person. Maybe
if we don't have a story for that by Denver it would be a good Denver topic?

There's also a third thing - which is halfway in between - and that's an
API for getting current and not historical information but that doesn't
need auth. Examples:

- What are the valid node labels?
- What is the current job config for project X?
- What optional features does this Zuul have enabled?

The last one is a thing I want given needing it but it not being there
for OpenStack. It could contain things like "this zuul has a dashboard
and it's here" and "this zuul supports GH triggers via the OpenStack
Zuul App, Gerrit triggers for review.openstack.org, and has the mqtt
reporter enabled which reports to firehose.openstack.org" *hand wave*

> Well these features can be implemented independently with the current
> architecture, but it sounds better to have them baked in Zuul and
> readily available to the end users. So I'm top-posting here to make
> sure this will be part of the master plan :-)

Yes- I think it's the most important thing to make sure we're on the
same overall page about direction so that you (and others) can continue
to explore this. We're cranking currently on getting v3 out the door and
are trying to really careful about last-minute scope creep, so we might
not have immediate bandwidth to review/land. BUT - the plugin interface
is there for a reason and I want you to be able to work on these without
being blocked so that when we've got bandwidth to start adding stuff
you're ready to go - but that with enough baseline agreement so that
step one isn't "oh, let's rewrite everything now" :)

This makes me think it might be useful to have a document with a list of
backlog of "these are all good ideas that we all agree should be here,
but also that we're purposely not doing today". I'll send a follow up
email about that.