[OpenStack-Infra] Space for Sahara artifacts (disk images)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jun 9 19:32:59 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-30 12:49:37 +0200 (+0200), Luigi Toscano wrote:
> On Friday, 26 May 2017 15:27:02 CEST Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> > We can see about extending the available free space for
> > tarballs.openstack.org after we relocate it off the same server
> > where we store our job logs, but we don't have a timeline for
> > when that will be. I'm sorry I don't have better news on that
> > front.
>
> It wouldn't be a problem to wait a bit. Even if you don't have a timeline, do
> you know the approximate timing? Is it more 6 months, one year, or more?
[...]

Aside from it being something we've talked about probably wanting
(putting tarballs content in AFS and being able to present a local
cache to workers in each provider/region we use for our CI system),
I don't think it's on anyone's radar yet from an execution
perspective. We've had more recent discussions about relocating our
logs.openstack.org site off that same server and into another
service provider... doing that would also free up plenty of space
for growing the current tarballs site and may well happen sooner
(though again I have no solid timeline for that work, we need a spec
for things like the 404->301 forwarding configuration on whichever
end has the DNS record while waiting out the retention period).
Rough guess is at least a few months given our current team
throughput and priorities.

> > If you need a periodic job to upload and replace pregenerated
> > branch-tip snapshot images for consumption by other CI jobs, we
> > should be able to work something out pretty easily (that's what
> > the other projects I mentioned above have been doing).
>
> This is not the use case described in my original request.
> Nevertheless, it could be useful for some of our scenario jobs.
> But wouldn't this be constrained by the lack of space as well?

Based on the numbers you gave, we could fairly confidently provide
sufficient space for images built from the tips of supported
branches since they would be replaced rather than accumulating new
ones for each tag. Hosting image sets for every point release
requires a fair amount more available space by comparison.