[OpenStack-Infra] Importing code with history (sahara-tests)

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 10:50:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

tl;dr this is request for help with a procedure which should take 10
minutes to a member of openstack-infra-core.

Long version: I'm one of the upstream maintainers of sahara-core and I'd
like to import some code from two repository into another but keeping the
history. (from sahara and from tempest into sahara-tests, see details below).

If we ignore the permissions required, the procedure is really easy:
1) generated a clean version of the commits to be imported (which are in a
separate directory);
2) create a new branch *without parents* (orphan) and push the set of
commits
to it
3a) allow merge commits in project-config (only for sahara-core)
3b) create a review with a merge commit and push it
3c) disable merge commits

Apart from the required +2 for 3a) and 3c), the only phase which requires a
non-standard effort from infra-core is 2), but it really takes few seconds
if the commits from 1) are ready.

And of course, if you agree on helping me on this, step 1 *is* ready. I
extracted the set of commits here:
- from sahara: https://github.com/ltoscano-rh/sahara-tests/commits/
sahara-tempest-client-tests
- from tempest: https://github.com/ltoscano-rh/sahara-tests/commits/
tempest-dataprocessing-client

We (Sahara team) already did this in the past thanks to Sergey Lukjanov who
helped as both former Sahara PTL and infra root; I think he is a bit busy
lately (but if you read this and want to help, you know where to find me!).
Proofs from the past merge:
- the merge review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301354/
- enabling merge commits: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/299407/ (they
were later disabled)

Is there anyone who could help me with the process?

--
Luigi