[OpenStack-Infra] Work toward a translations checksite and call for help

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 1 14:36:43 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-01 16:08:49 +0200 (+0200), Ricardo Carrillo Cruz wrote:
[...]
> The set DNS task would check a file on the puppetmaster which contains the
> state of blue/green DNS records (translate-latest.openstack.org pointing to
> translate_a and translate-soon-to-be-deleted.openstack.org pointing to
> translate_b or viceversa) and would only run in case any of the preceding
> create_server tasks did anything.
[...]

Problem is we can't (okay, shouldn't) automate DNS changes while
we're relying on Rackspace's DNS service, since it's not using a
standard OpenStack API and we really don't want to write additional
tooling to it.

As mentioned in my earlier E-mail, a simple alternative is to just
update a HTTP 302 (temporary) redirect or a rewrite/proxy to the
"live" deployment in an Apache vhost on static.openstack.org or
perhaps update a persistent haproxy pool. Proxying rather than
redirecting probably makes the most sense as we can avoid presenting
IP-address-based URLs to the consumer (and if we're forced to deploy
with TLS then we might be able to stabilize a solution for that at
the proxy too).