[OpenStack-Infra] April 13th Infra StoryBoard bug day and low-hanging-fruit tagging

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Thu Apr 14 17:07:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph
<lyz at princessleia.com> wrote:
> So we'll be once again hosting an Infra bug day! It will begin on
> Wednesday, April 13th at 15:00 UTC and go for 24 hours, as time zones
> allow for participants, in #openstack-sprint

We have completed this bug day and I'm pleased to report that we went
from 571 active bugs down to 414.

Great work!

>  * General review, evaluation and triage of outstanding bugs

This is where the vast majority of our time was spent, and we didn't
get through all the stories. Of particular note, according to the
etherpad the following project story lists are the biggest ones we
have and didn't get very much attention:

 - devstack-gate (13 stories)
 - nodepool (30 stories)
 - git-review (57 stories)
 - zuul (73 stories)

So we'll likely want to make sure we have the expertise around next
time to tackle those. For context, during previous bug day back in
August 2014 we went from a total of 270 to 233, so 414 is still a bit
high for us.

Clark put a lot of effort into triaging system-config, which was the
majority of our drop, going from 215 to 126 as he weeded out a lot of
bugs that weren't actually infrastructure/system-config bugs or had
aged out of relevance as we changed out we do base image building.

Thanks to Anita Kuno, Ricardo Carrillo Cruz, Clark Boylan and Ben Kero
who all took active roles in assigning themselves projects to go
through the bugs on, and to everyone else in channel who responded to
our requests for updates and generally supported our efforts.

>  * Make sure low-hanging-fruit tags are still valuable and accurate,
> and hopefully add more so that new contributors have tasks they can
> tackle

Only a couple people looked at this task, I found myself not having
much time to evaluate bugs for this criteria either. Next time :)

>  * As we do all this work on StoryBoard, chat with some of the
> StoryBoard developers, Zara and SotK, about what we still need from
> StoryBoard itself to support our work

Huge thanks to StoryBoard developers Zara Zaimeche and Adam Coldrick
who came by throughout the sprint to answer questions and respond to
feedback. Especially since the time zone I'm awake during was not
optimal for them :)

> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cibugreview-april2016

I have collected a lot of feedback in the etherpad based on what I
struggled with and what I saw others having trouble with with
StoryBoard itself. Whether at summit or at an IRC meeting some other
time (either infra or StoryBoard) it would be nice to chat and work to
turn some of this feedback into proper bug reports.

I'll conclude by saying that I'm really impressed with how far
StoryBoard has come. While there are some rough edges and issues here
and there, the day actually went quite smoothly and we were able to
get a lot of work done without the tooling getting in our way.

Thanks everyone!