[OpenStack-Infra] [Testing Puppet Modules] Issues with beaker and bundler gem versions

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Wed Nov 4 11:01:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Maite Balhester <mbalhest at thoughtworks.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks, let me introduce myself first, I’m Maitê and I’m currently
> working on adding tests in the puppet modules with my team.
>
> Last week we started to face errors in gate jobs regarding to the
> fog-google version (
> http://logs.openstack.org/28/220228/9/check/gate-openstackci-beaker-trusty-dsvm/7ca0fc1/console.html
> ).
>
> As you can see in this link (https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/BKR-564)
> this error was fixed in beaker > 2.24.0, but somehow the bundler 1.10.6 is
> not fetching the latest beaker version (actually it is fetching 2.24.0
> version).
>
> We can fix the beaker version to 2.27.0 in the Gemfiles for the modules
> (in our tests this worked fine), but it is not the best approach, since we
> have a lot of modules and this can be easily outdated.

I /think/ this should be fixed[1], and hopefully the fix will be released
soon. The dependency resolution is really confusing here.

> Another point of concern is that vagrant 1.7.x expects bundler (<= 1.10.5,
> >= 1.5.2), (https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/6158) and even if
> we fix the version, running the tests with bundler 1.10.6 will probably
> will probably break the job.

This also looks like it was fixed[2] in beaker so again we just need to
await a release. I'll try to poke the right people during US west coast
workday hours.

> If we fix the beaker version, we must fix the bundler version to 1.10.5,
> and I personally don’t like to specify versions because it is hard to
> maintain and it can get easily updated. But I don’t see other way to deal
> with this subject.
>
> What do you think? Do we have a better way to deal with this situation?

A good resource for these types of issues is #puppet or #puppet-dev on
freenode, or the puppet-users or puppet-dev mailing lists. Module testing
sits on the boundary between puppet users questions and puppet developers
questions so either channel or list is appropriate to ask.

> Thanks for your attentions and regards,
>
> Colleen

[1]
https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/commit/3625c573e8a59ca634ef2b5d6d0ae9d021e8d2d5