[OpenStack-Infra] [Testing Puppet Modules] Issues with beaker and bundler gem versions

Maite Balhester mbalhest at thoughtworks.com
Tue Nov 3 21:04:06 UTC 2015

Hey folks, let me introduce myself first, I’m Maitê and I’m currently
working on adding tests in the puppet modules with my team.

Last week we started to face errors in gate jobs regarding to the
fog-google version (
http://logs.openstack.org/28/220228/9/check/gate-openstackci-beaker-trusty-dsvm/7ca0fc1/console.html
).

As you can see in this link (https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/BKR-564)
this error was fixed in beaker > 2.24.0, but somehow the bundler 1.10.6 is
not fetching the latest beaker version (actually it is fetching 2.24.0
version).

We can fix the beaker version to 2.27.0 in the Gemfiles for the modules (in
our tests this worked fine), but it is not the best approach, since we have
a lot of modules and this can be easily outdated.

Another point of concern is that vagrant 1.7.x expects bundler (<= 1.10.5,
>= 1.5.2), (https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/6158) and even if
we fix the version, running the tests with bundler 1.10.6 will probably
will probably break the job.

If we fix the beaker version, we must fix the bundler version to 1.10.5,
and I personally don’t like to specify versions because it is hard to
maintain and it can get easily updated. But I don’t see other way to deal
with this subject.

What do you think? Do we have a better way to deal with this situation?

Thanks for your attentions and regards,

--
Maitê BalhesterConsultant DeveloperEmailmbalhest at thoughtworks.comTelephone+55
11 95262 4318 <+55+11+95262+4318>[image: ThoughtWorks]