[OpenStack-Infra] Software Factory Openstack Infra Collaboration

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Jan 20 19:01:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Christian Schwede wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we built an internal development platform called "Software Factory" and
> opened it up under an Apache License on Github. While we essentially use
> the same tools as the openstack-infra team, like Gerrit, Zuul, Jenkins;
> our deployment is quite different with eDeploy and Heat for provisioning
> and custom made Puppet manifests.
>
> We have also added a few elements to expand and unify the development
> experience, including:
>
> - Support for other bug trackers (e.g. redmine)
> - Support for other auth systems (e.g. github)
> - CLI for creating projects
> - Unifying top-level menu
> - Top-level dashboard
>
> At  this stage of development, we understand that some of our work is
> within the scope of the openstack-infra, which is why we would like to
> start the conversation on how to proceed and potentially collaborate in
> conjunction with the infra community. We are interested in having
> discussions about the future of openstack-infra project and how we might
> contribute.
Awesome. It would be great to collaborate to extend the OpenStack infra
to better meet your needs and likely better meet our needs in the
process. I am excited to see what we can do.

> In particular, we are looking into:
>  - Extending Zuul, in particular on configuration file management and
> multiple nodes job assignment.
We talked briefly about multiple node assignment and how we accomplish
that today. Would be great to hear back to see if this does what you
need. If not we should work on fixing that. (For those that may not have
seen the IRC discssion nodepool can build groups of nodes and assign
them to Jenkins as an atomic unit. This is provided by the subnode
feature mentioned in the nodepool docs [0].
> - Generic third party CI integration
We would very much like this too. Current idea of getting there is to
split out our puppet modules into independent modules to make them more
composable, then once that is done we can compose them for the infra
team and for third party CI systems. We are having a virtual sprint to
finish up the initial puppet module cleanup January 28th [1], if you are
interested in helping out you can join us there.

> We would like to discuss the kind of challenges the infra team faces to
> potentially align our work and submit patches upstream.
This might make a good Infra meeting topic [2] to kick off the initial
discussion and figure out where we can go from there?