[OpenStack-Infra] Puppet Apache Dependency Issues

Spencer Krum krum.spencer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:31:35 UTC 2015

Hello All,

At the meeting on August 25th, we discussed an issue with the puppet-httpd
module and a few solutions. The issue is that the httpd_mod type does not
have a baked-in ordering relationship with the Service['httpd'] resource.
This means that sometimes httpd_mod resources are instantiated after the
service attempts to come up, meaning the service cannot start.

A few solutions have been proposed:

1) Modify our use of the httpd_mod resource to use 'before' everywhere.
This patch [1] is an example of doing that for puppet-gerrit, we'd have to
perform similar modifications elsewhere in our code.

2) Modify the httpd module to do this automatically. This patch [2] changes
the type at the ruby layer using puppet internal apis to add an
'autobefore' on the Service['httpd'] resource.

3) Create an httpd::mod defined type that can do this automatically. We'd
have to then change every invocation of httpd_mod to be httpd::mod. This
patch [3] is the patch to create httpd::mod and this patch [4] shows what
using it would be like. We'd have to apply changes like [4] everywhere in
our infrastructure.

4) Migrate to puppetlabs-apache. This has two forms, one(4a) involving
patching that module to support our usecase and the other(4b) where we use
the existing api.

I have my own opinions about what we should be doing, but this message is
meant to explain the problem and roads available to us, not to editorialize.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216708/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216436/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216835/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/217334/