[OpenStack-Infra] Puppet Apache Dependency Issues

Yolanda Robla Mota yolanda.robla-mota at hp.com
Thu Aug 27 09:07:17 UTC 2015

Hi
Thanks for the explanation. As this is a topic that needs more
background, and a deeper discussion, I created an etherpad to work on it.
You can access on:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-httpd_vs_puppetlabs-apache

Best
Yolanda

El 26/08/15 a las 20:31, Spencer Krum escribió:
> Hello All,
>
> At the meeting on August 25th, we discussed an issue with the
> puppet-httpd module and a few solutions. The issue is that the
> httpd_mod type does not have a baked-in ordering relationship with the
> Service['httpd'] resource. This means that sometimes httpd_mod
> resources are instantiated after the service attempts to come up,
> meaning the service cannot start.
>
> A few solutions have been proposed:
>
> 1) Modify our use of the httpd_mod resource to use 'before'
> everywhere. This patch [1] is an example of doing that for
> puppet-gerrit, we'd have to perform similar modifications elsewhere in
> our code.
>
> 2) Modify the httpd module to do this automatically. This patch [2]
> changes the type at the ruby layer using puppet internal apis to add
> an 'autobefore' on the Service['httpd'] resource.
>
> 3) Create an httpd::mod defined type that can do this automatically.
> We'd have to then change every invocation of httpd_mod to be
> httpd::mod. This patch [3] is the patch to create httpd::mod and this
> patch [4] shows what using it would be like. We'd have to apply
> changes like [4] everywhere in our infrastructure.
>
> 4) Migrate to puppetlabs-apache. This has two forms, one(4a) involving
> patching that module to support our usecase and the other(4b) where we
> use the existing api.
>
> I have my own opinions about what we should be doing, but this message
> is meant to explain the problem and roads available to us, not to
> editorialize.

> --
> Spencer Krum
> (619)-980-7820

Yolanda Robla Mota
Cloud Automation and Distribution Engineer
+34 605641639
yolanda.robla-mota at hp.com