[OpenStack-Infra] Using ensure=>running by default in Puppet modules

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Aug 13 16:36:18 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-13 09:16:46 -0700 (-0700), Colleen Murphy wrote:
[...]
> Downstream users of a puppet module will always expect the
> module to [...] start services.
[...]

I find it hard to believe that this is a common expectation among
system administrators, but it may be a cultural/generational bias?

When a daemon/service crashes, most of the time I don't want it
automatically started back up. Who knows what damage it may do? I
want it to stay down _hard_ until I can take a look at it and see
what's wrong, and make sure it's safe to be started back.
Unfortunately if puppet has ensure=>running and sees the service has
died, it will helpfully try to resuscitate it for you (perhaps over
and over and over and over and... or perhaps successfully and so
quickly that you won't know there's actually a problem you needed to
be aware of).