[OpenStack-Infra] [jjb] What's the deal with {{?

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 06:05:47 UTC 2015

Hi,

Just trying to get my head around this from [1]:

---

- builder:
     name: test_builder
     builders:
       - shell: |
            echo ${FOO_1}
            echo ${{FOO_2}}

- job-template:
     name: '{foo}-test'
     builders:
       - test_builder
       - shell: |
            echo ${{FOO_3}}

- project:
     name: 'foo'
     jobs:
       - '{foo}-test':
          foo: bar

---

that's going to output a job basically

---
echo ${FOO_1}
echo ${{FOO_2}}
echo ${FOO_3}
---

Why do I *not* get a "FOO_1 parameter missing" for test_builder?  If I
do

---

       - test_builder:
           FOO_1: bar

---

it does actually come out with "echo $bar" as you might expect.

Or the same question in reverse: why *do* I get an error about a
missing parameter if I have just "${FOO_3}" in the job-template?

I can't find a clear explanation for this, although there might be
one I'm missing.  If I can find one, I'll add it to some sort of
documentation.

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212246