[OpenStack-Infra] Puppet lint checks for system-config

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 14:56:57 UTC 2015

Greetings,

This email comes from some personal frustrations regarding our code review
policy for system-config. Specifically, lint or style checks for puppet code.

Back in Nov. 30 2012 (yes I checked) I enabled voting for
gate-ci-puppet-lint[1]. It was one of my first efforts for infra :) Since then
we've grown to a large family of puppet contributors.

However, system-config underwent a change, maybe a year ago, to remove lint
checks.  My understanding of the reason to disable the check, was since
system-config was not being uploaded into the puppet forge, there was no need to
have lint checks running.

About 4-5 months ago, I asked to re-enable the lint check, but we denied.
Comments revolved around git blame / history issue and wasted effort. I don't
have issue with this reasoning, if people don't want to do it, I don't want to
force it.

However, recently. I got my hand smacked in 2 different code reviews for arrow
alignment issues. Honestly, I wasn't even mad about the -1 for the alignment.
However, I'm concerned about the wasted effort the -1 caused me. Basically, I
had to wait a few days to get the -1, since it was a human doing the review, not
the gate. Additionally, if I was getting a -1 for style checks, why didn't
jenkins do it?

So, my question is simple.  What is our policy on style checks for
system-config.  From what I understand, it goes both ways.  People don't want
gate checksi (wasted effort), however people are doing human code review for
style checks (because they like unified puppet modules). Needless to say, this
is slightly confusing.

All and all, I would rather jenkins give me a -1 if my code does not pass style
over a human. Since, I can quickly run my tests locally before uploading into
the gate.

For the record, I want to re-enable the lint gate for system-config.  This keeps
it inline with 99% of our other openstack / openstack-infra puppet modules.

[1] https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/commit/bee9131dce447d8dd53f246438fd3363a88da426