[OpenStack-Infra] Towards a better integration of gerrit and openstack people db

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Jun 3 19:49:20 UTC 2014

hello folks,

with the openstack.org web team we're discussing ways to improve the
user experience for all sorts of users of openstack tools, developers
included.  We're finalizing the design of the new openid provider portal
so that it will be the ultimate place to hold the profiles of all people
involved in openstack, from users, developers, people editing copy on
the marketplace, etc. To keep this message shorter I put more details on
my blog [1]

As you may know, right now the CLAs are required in the bylaws and
they're a PITA to sign, for individuals and corporations alike. While
the discussion to switch to DCO goes on, I think we should simplify what
we have now since it's very easy to do. And whether we switch to DCO or
not, this work to better connect gerrit with the People db (shall we
call it this way?) is needed for other purposes, too.

We already have most of the UI and infrastructure in place to make
things simpler for all involved.

The .org maintainers (in cc) and I met last week and speced out a
proposal to better integrate information stored in gerrit and the People
database. Your input is needed for the communication protocol between
gerrit and the db. The specs are on the etherpad

 https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/New_Member_table_attributes_for_SS_db

and the corresponding blueprint on
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+spec/track-clas-signatures-in-ss

Your thoughts are appreciated: how to do the initial sync of information
between the two systems (gerrit and People) and how to keep them in sync
afterwards*?

Thanks,,
stef

* the 'afterwards' part could be after the first import and before we
ditch Launchpad completely --something we will start discussing later,
once openid is closer to live deployment.

[1]
http://maffulli.net/2014/06/03/towards-a-directory-for-all-openstack-people