[OpenStack-Infra] Intermittent network issues on hpcloud

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 06:12:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

FYI I've noticed a few strange intermittent issues with hpcloud
instances; the short story is connections seem to get a RST at various
inconvenient times.

This first happened to me when I was running some of the node setup
scripts by hand to validate the Fedora install [1].  Poking around I
saw some upstream issues with pip downloads, etc [2].  I could
reproduce fairly easily with a wget in a loop [3].  This was seen to
multiple destinations, from openstack git to pypi and others.  So it
does not seem to be a problem at the remote end.

I chatted with a support person who also saw the issue on his
instances [4].  Time will tell if this was just a transient error or
something actually wrong, but please be aware if your jobs seem to
fail for network-connection related issues.

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/97665/
[2] http://logs.openstack.org/57/97357/3/check/gate-config-layout/26774e2/console.html
[3] http://paste.openstack.org/show/82708/